After the meeting, I wrote down a list of initial ideas to test out. These included;
- Sentence from entry in different colour/type/size
- Pick out most relevant word
- Pick out most relevant word and rearrange (anagram)
- Layer a word from different materials - opacity?
- Cut out and stencil over dada entry
- Cut out from entry page
- Foam letters - spin
- Foam letters - drag (horizontal & vertical)
- Paint (backwards) and place paper over top
These were the outcomes...
The above two were just simple ideas to pick out words from the dada poetry to form an alternate sentence. I like this idea. Like 2 in 1.
This idea was to pick out a word from one of the diary entries that defined the whole piece, and using it as an anagram to form new words. This is quite a good idea too, and keeps the whole theme secretive.
This was trying out layering. I cut out a different word in some cardboard, and place it over the dada poem. This look is interesting because it only lets you see certain areas, and mixes up the words.
Here I tested out cutting out a word from the poem, and then I thought I would see if I could make a new poem from the visible words. It wasn't a success, or legible really. So I decided to join up the words to make new ones so it then became legible and was quite interesting really. Completely abstract but different:
Bod yisted hentreme her cho gibarnd facect shaiett,
Stvidly h dft poke remem eside fling very treir staw I tho hewain.
So yes, not exactly anything brilliant, but it was just an experiment.
This was experimenting with reproduction. I painted some cardboard letters, and placed a piece of paper over the top. I like this piece above because it was what was left when I pulled the slightly stuck letters off. Below is the result of the printed piece. I like the roughness of it and the fact that it is readable but not as well.
This was done on Photoshop, layering 3 images together and using opacity to let the background image come through. Quite effective I thought.
Above I just cut out letters from the diary entry, not too keen on this look.
Here I was trying out using rubber stamps on top of the poem. I like the idea of using the whole poem in the background because I still want it to be about the diary. It is the essence of the project after all.
I do like the way the experimentation went, but it is still about testing out the water and seeing what I can make from it. I have been researching poster ideas and found some very nice work. So my next step is to experiment with poster styles.